4/30/2008

May 3, 2008

It's Spring and the grass is growing but something's happening at the grass roots level in America. Join us as we talk with Ellyn Crutcher and Jeffrey Scott about their experiences on the ground with US Senate hopeful Greg Fischer in KY and Presidential candidate Barack Obama respectively. Although Ellyn and Jeffrey support their respective candidates, we'll be talking with them about aspects of the New Story in America which they're witness to while campaiging.

Louisville, KY resident Ellyn Crutcher our first hour guest is passionate abou the arts, especially film, interfaith work, the environment and community building. She's also passionate about working to bring change to the status quo in Washington. Ellyn will share with us what she's witnessing as the New Story unfolds on the ground in KY.

In our 9:00 hour (CST), New Mexico resident Jeffrey Scott will talk with us from Portland, Oregon where he's part of the Obama campaign. Jeffrey got my attention recently in the e-zine "The Social Artist Companion" after arriving in Austin, TX when he wrote: "Taking in the almost overwhelming excitement and power of it all, I am possessed of the certain knowledge that I have entered a portal of transition time, a deep ever deepening shift in the collective paradigm of how we humans create together our civic life - what we call our politics and governance. I have just dived into the immense powerful currents of a deep running fast moving river. Here I am now at this time at this momentous time entering into and flowing with its currents. A participant and actor in this great shift."

Jeffrey, a writer and public educator is interesting in the relationship between healing social wounds and spiritual renewal. His journey has involved multicultural teaching in diverse universities and social acitivism in local communities. His recent writings re-imagine the birth of the civil rights movement and Martin Luther King's spiritual stuggles and explores the significance of the Barack Obama campaign as grassroots social healing. Jeffrey will talk with us about what he's experiencing as he's been on the ground in Texas, Mississppi and Oregon working on the Obama campaign.

1 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Blogger Noelle Wainwright Warner said...

Hi Dawn!

You are a Good New Muse! I love your website, www.imaginetheshift.com. It's fresh air and nourishment for the soul.

So, I told you I would write out the story of "Wake Up" and how I was led to your radio show. I want to begin by telling you something I don't think I ever mentioned to you before in therapy. I was given a list of therapists over the phone at a very difficult time in my life. I do not remember the other names, because as soon as I heard your name, "Dawn," I envisioned the dawn, the beginning of day, light breaking through and beginning to lift the darkness. I saw and felt this, and that is why I chose you as my therapist. You were aptly named at birth!

So, when we first moved back to Nashville, we moved into a little rental house on Kenway Drive. I did my grocery shopping at the local Kroger, but coming as I was from Kenway, I turned into the Kroger parking lot via Abbott Martin, and never took much notice of the entrance on the other side. That changed when we found our home on Sneed Rd, which encouraged me to enter Kroger from the opposite direction, off of Bandywood. Coming this way, the best spot is the first one availale, with shelter overhead, next to a column. When you pull up to this spot, you will see staight ahead, as I did, the graffiti someone spray painted there. It says, "Wake Up." I remember the first time I saw it, and despite my not being a fan of graffiti of any shape, size, or color, this message made my heart smile. I stepped out onto the adjacent curb, and there at my feet, someone wrote, "Wake up!" this time with an exclamation. Everytime I'd park there, I'm smile inside, and probably on the outside, too, wondering what it was the graffiti artist wanted me to wake up to.

This went on for many months, perhaps almost a year. Wake up! Wake up! Wake up! It's no wonder that once getting to RadioFreeNashville.com, after reading about it on the Tennessee Jazz and Blues Website, my eye was immediately drawn to "Wake Up & Live!" Not only was it drawn to "Wake Up" but it was drawn to one of the names below, "Dawn." I thought, "Is that MY Dawn, my therapist of all those years ago?" Clicking on it and reading "Dawn Kirk" I could hardly believe my eyes. I knew I was in for more growing, stretching, and understanding. That's God for you, working little wonders and miracles in the most ordinary, but completely extraordinary ways, to help us grow.

I'm 3 years behind on listening, but it's quite a comfort to think I have all these shows to come to for guidance, redirection, inspiration, companionship, and rest. I'm so glad you're here, and that you overcame your fear of public speaking to offer your wisdom and warmth to the world. I believe we are all meant to shine in our own way, and I feel so fortunate to have found you shining here.

Abundant Blessings to you always,

Noelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home